Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Early bird gets the worm....





One of the questions I get asked often (aside from “Are they twins?”!) is “Are they on the same schedule?” Well, how strict of a schedule are we talking? If you know me, you know I am a very ‘scheduled’ person. I set timelines, deadlines, and try to stick to them. Try telling a 5 month old to do that……let alone two 5 month olds!!

However, Evan and Jaden really have done a great job of sticking to the same ‘schedule.’ Ever since we got home from the hospital in September, I have kept the boys on the same feeding schedule. Initially it was feeding every three hours, and slowly we transitioned to ‘front loading’ the nighttime feedings before midnight. Now in the evenings the boys eat at 6:30pm and 8:30pm and will sleep until about 6am (or 4:45am depending on my workout motivation!). Either way, they both will go back to sleep right away for a nap. And this is where the difference in their schedules starts each day.

Jaden is clearly a morning person. He consistently wakes up before Evan after their early morning nap. And he is full of smiles. Recently cooing and giggles have accompanied the smiles. I really enjoy having that one-on-one time with Jaden the Morning Baby.

Evan on the other hand, will sometimes need to be woken up before the 9:15am feeding. And when evening rolls around, Evan breaks out those smiles. He loves to lie on the floor – cooing at the ceiling fan. He thinks it’s hilarious when I put his toes up to his nose! All this, while Jaden is cat-napping in the swing (after 10 minutes of fussy time!)

So when asked if they are on the same schedule, I do say ‘yes.’ Even though I know that Evan and Jaden are individuals and I cannot dictate their personalities at different times of days which also means a different nap schedule. I am actually grateful that one is a morning person and one more of a night owl as this gives me that one-on-one time with each of them that is often hard to find throughout the day. I would take that before a strict schedule any day!

Jaden - enjoying morning coffee time!


Evan in the evening while Jaden is napping.

No comments:

Post a Comment