Monday, December 10, 2012

Balance


Balance. No, I’m not talking about Evan balancing his body with his hands as he rides his train or about Jaden balancing on his tippy-toes as he reaches for [insert anything you can think of]. I am talking about the balancing of ‘life’…….and this time of year, it can be a true act.

 I think I'd rather play 52-card-pickup!!

I am in a small group with other working moms and reading a thoughtful book: “Balance That Works When Life Doesn’t: Simple Steps to a Woman’s Physical and Spiritual Health” by Susie Larson. The main topic areas include nutrition, physical activity, and spiritual health. Fitting into the category of physical activity was this last chapter on ‘Rest.’ Ironically as I read the chapter, my eyes were heavy as I had again waited until the last day to do my reading homework.

Rest. It can mean many things: sitting quietly; watching mindless TV; reading a book; sleeping; or for me tonight- I took time after I put the boys to bed to play some Christmas songs on the piano (side note: I am pretty sure it is just as difficult to get back into running after not doing so for a year as it to play the piano again….yikes!) but it was a great way to clear my mind and to rest. Yes, I still have the stack of Food Science papers to grade, I haven't sent out one Christmas card, and I have no idea what I’m making for tomorrow’s department potluck……but that’s okay. 

With this busy time of year, it’s easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle. A verse that stands out from the book is from Mark:6 when Jesus feeds the five thousand. 
30 The Apostles gathered around Jesus and reported to him all they had done and taught. 31 Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”  

I hope all of you can take some time for yourselves this Holiday Season and rest!

Jaden working on his physical activity with some dance moves! This kid never rests!

No comments:

Post a Comment